Going to be a crazy week with deadlines, a commitment tomorrow night I hope to be able to “report” on on Wed, and a trip out of town with no internet for a couple days, so I’m going to do another process series this week on a recently completed project.
Well, not project. Beginning of a project. My friend Jeff O’Bryant has written a very cool story that actually runs a bit parallel to the on again, off again Perfect Storm: Alexander the Great storyline that Gary and I have been wanting to get back to (more on that soon!) called “The Last Alexandrian.”
The first thing I did for the project was come up with a logo. Not only cause we will eventually need a logo anyway, but also I think having the logo gives you a sense of direction. Maybe that’s why Perfect Storm has gone through so many incarnations– didn’t settle on a logo till the New Ride story! Anywho, for this one I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted right off the bat, and thankfully when I showed it to Jeff he liked it too!
Then Jeff sent me his idea for the cover. A George Perez inspired collage of elements from Alexandria and the main characters background. So with that in mind I sat down with my template, printed on an 8.5 x 11 piece of typing paper, and started doodling. At the rough stage I don’t worry about getting details correct or likenesses like the characters or anything, I just like to get a feel for what is going to go where. Tomorrow I’ll do a side-by-side of the rough and the pencils… Heh, progress-within-the-progress.
This is the scan I sent him to look over, and aside from a couple notes (Which I’ll show you tomorrow) I got the OK to go on to pencils!